Sunday, January 24, 2021

French Country Kitchen cabinets finishing touches

 Now that the exterior finish is all done, I've been focusing on the countertop. I had planned on gluing all the pieces together and then finishing it, as I have done in other houses. This makes me commit to the L shaped layout. 



While it was drying I started testing different finishes. I have used Fleckstone spray in both my B&B and Thornhill and have been pleased. I pulled them out, and bought some Krylon that is finer than the Fleckstone. I ended up buying 3 colors...yeah, undecided. I also had a texture paint, and did samples of that too.

The newer Krylon fine texture seemed much better suited to the scale and I used Pebble for this. 



I did like it...but was drawn to the Charcoal color and so bit the bullet and re-sprayed with several coats. Once dry, I coated it with matte Mod Podge. Seemed too flat...added a spray of a bit of gloss sealer. That is what you see below. 


I now needed a better faucet, and ordered it...and promptly glued it on the moment it arrived. I love it! I've ordered some new stove knobs, as I'm now missing one. Will have to see how easily I can get the old ones off without damaging the surface of the silver top.

I've got the cabinets and counters glued together and am retouching paint, especially on the back side of the island cabinet that had less attention in my cabinet painting escapades.



I'm also considering a crown for the top edge of the upper cabinets. I found a tiny cove molding I have and may use that. It's small enough that it fits flush with the top of the cabinets and the cabinet doors will still open. Yes, that one photo shows the cabinets upside down - they were being glued.




4 comments:

  1. Your kitchen is coming along nicely. The stone texture on the countertops makes a beautiful finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherrill! I'm very pleased with the results!

      Delete
  2. I do like the coving, and I've noticed that often when kitchen units have coving on top they have a small wooden edge under the cupboards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanette - Yeah, I do like it too. I just cut all the pieces and have a 1st coat of paint on them.

      Delete