Monday, November 28, 2022

Chateau Foyer gets new look

The Foyer wallpaper I chose originally - I had my heart set on the panel effect and spent a lot of time (and $) in finding the right paper, and then cutting the pattern to a narrower repeat (because the room was not all that large). I was pretty happy with it...but it had seams that were more obvious than I liked. And the outside coach lights stopped working, not even bulb replacements would fix that. 

So I bit the bullet and got more coach lights and found a fabulous deep elegant wallpaper from Les Chinoiseries. The crown molding in that room was different than the LR and DR, since I didn't have enough of that molding. But I really wasn't happy with the one I ended up using. So, it all came out. The new coach lights went up, and I wired them to the subfloor instead of the wall. This way, if the connection goes wonky, I can lift the floor and re-attach the eyelets. 

The wallpaper went up like a charm, and it dramatically changed the mood...its so rich and elegant. As I was installing it, the idea of using a dark/wood look in a crown started to form. I had purchased some Unique Miniatures crown molding I had used once before in another house. For some reason, once upon a time, I kept a small cutting of that molding and had apparently applied a stain/paint wash to it. I stumbled upon it in my stash, and it was just staring me in the face!

Before:


Visualizing new paper


Paper up, and old crown sample I found that I had previously stained/washed - looks rich!



Completed paper



Staining the crown


And final effect!



2 comments:

  1. That is an entirely new look and it’s wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The new foyer look is like espresso with dessert - rich and delicious! I am so proud of you for your bravery in not settling when your gut is urging you toward something new!

    ReplyDelete