Tuesday, September 01, 2020

Chateau Shingling Complete!

 I am so glad this is now complete. I am not fond of shingling, to put it mildly. I hope to never need to do another. 

It came out nicely, though there were some challenges. Not all the shingles took the stain in the same way so I was picking and choosing. I saved the iffy ones for the sides that face the chimneys. I also got done with the back and knew I wouldn't have enough shingles to complete the one wing I had left. 

Here's where I stopped and bought more shingles.


I ran to Lolly's and got another 500 and stained them. I was much smarter about staining them this time, used quart plastic narrow container. I also laid down plastic first, then the butcher paper...and swapped out the butcher paper for a second piece before I started blotting them. Was a nice cool, slightly windy day so I had some weights down on my surface.


I went back to finishing up my shingling job and am very happy with the results!



I plan on wood strips at the peaks and top of the house. I cut basswood to fit and started painting with the grey that is on the house exterior. They will be one of the very last things I attach - the top roof of the house has electrical tapewire on it and I'm going to have to make that one removable, maybe velcro. The wings have one roof piece that is removable - that will help in finishing those rooms. So until I'm done and ready to permanently attach those roof sections, the flat top will just be removable.





2 comments:

  1. That is big job done! Congratulations. ....On ward and upward Heidi!It turned out lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know it, Carrie! I'm oh so done with shingling! Time to move on to something more enjoyable. Got to paint the interior of my dormers so that I can attach the external window frames, work on more tapewire, and move into decorating!

    ReplyDelete