Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Thornhill Exterior

I've been working on my Thornhill since June of 2007. It's a big project but I've always loved this house - its size, its layout and the possibilities. I decided it was going to be country french in style. I've been inspired by this theme through the works of Whitledge-Burgess and others, and have drooled over the Lawbre French Country Chateau for years. Alas, I don't think I could ever afford one of those, and used a large discount at miniatures.com to buy this RGT Thornhill.

Since I haven't blogged about it since I started working on it, you will have lots of catching up to do. If you want to see my photos, go to my flickr page - http://www.flickr.com/photos/hnuttle/sets/72157600076302110 and you can see progress from the beginning.


Here's the exterior color wash that I'm very pleased with. Took a few tries and over-painting with base coat wash to make it more muted and achieve the final look.

Also see the patina I did and how it really looks nice against the color wash.





















Turns out that all my sanding of the stucco prior to painting created a layer of dust on things. Makes me feel right at home.




















Plan on staining the base a darker color so it will contrast nicely with the marble top.













I'm also working on an island counter for the kitchen. Here's the pieces that will make it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment