Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Exterior windows

I've been working on the Thornhill windows - starting with the first floor since most of that floor's rooms are done and I knew what the interior colors would be also.

Thank goodness I kept notes on how I did the color washes in the living room, so I could go back and replicate it. Turns out I had done the interior trims on some a few years ago when I did the living room walls too....I guess I had the foresight to think ahead.

The exterior trim was supposed to be grey, like a photo from a book I have. Either I just wasn't getting the right grey or it really was a bad idea. I asked DH what he thought on the grey, and he didn't really like it  - said it didn't pop for him. So back to the drawing board...and I found burnt sienna. That seemed to complement the earthtones, and made the 'pop' and contrast. So that's where I went.


I also got the front roof shingled - looking good! Then here's the interior color wash I reproduced  - not bad after a couple of years. I think for the 2nd story, I'm going to stain the interior windows cherry, rather than paint. Turns out that the 2nd floor windows don't have removable panes - can't believe that...but as a result, painting even the exterior of those window frames is a huge challenge.



For the back, I cut 2 openings - a window upstairs and a french door downstairs. So am working on those too. I think the french door turned out nicely. 


Here again is the color wash on the interior of the french door. 



No comments:

Post a Comment